Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Journey Begins

With trepidation in my heart, I am staring at the composition page of a blog.  It took me days, even weeks to get here.  I have gotten as far as the "Name Your Blog" page several times, wondering if I was being pulled there by my own narcissistic tendencies or if I was truly being called to chronicle my spiritual experience of Lent.  I pray that it is the latter.  I take some comfort in the fact that the entire thing can be deleted with a few clicks and that maybe no one at all will see this.

I am also wryly wondering how many first posts are titled "The Journey Begins."  It seems only fitting though. Lent is a journey- one I have technically been on 29 times, though I am hoping that this year will yield a more significant destination than diving into an Easter basket after six weeks of abstaining from chocolate, as it did when I was in high school.  Not that all of my Lents have been quite so shallow.  Shallow, but not chocolate shallow.  Two years ago I gave up cursing and the change has stuck permanently.  A year ago I gave up taking God's name in vain, which has also become part of my status quo.  While I find these changes to be positive, I know that they have little to do with what God wants me to do during Lent.  It is my prayer that He will lead me through this season and show me how to use it.

Now, let me state the simple and obvious fact that Lent comes to us at a miserable time of year.  Usually in February or March, it is still frigid and damp, overcast and generally dark.  The clocks have not been turned forward yet, and the overwhelming desire to be on the couch under my heated blanket seems to be the most compelling force in my life right now.  I have a closet full of new spring clothes, tags still on, taunting me to wear them.  The Superbowl is long over, and Opening Day for baseball season seems years away.  (I never have been able to get into March Madness.)  The school days stretch out before me with the hope of a snow day quickly dwindling and Spring Break but a pinprick of light far in the distance.  It is truly no fun at all.  Wait, I take that back.  The one thing you can ALWAYS look forward to during Lent is hearing, "Give me back that fillet 'o fish!  Give me that fish!"  blaring from the TV and radio... what a great commercial... I am not being facetious!

Anyway, the point is that this time of year can really be equated to drudgery.  What I am coming to believe, however, is that drudgery can be a really good thing.  Not enjoyable, but good.  What better time of year to really work- to put your head down and get down to business.  There is nothing to distract me (save for said fish commercial) and there is a very good possibility that once these 6 weeks are over, the world will be a little brighter, if I've followed His will, even slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment