Funny enough, today's passage from my daily devotional book, "My Utmost for His Highest" contained the following sentence: "It is the simple, dreary day, with its commonplace duties and people, that smothers the burning heart-unless we have learned the secret of abiding in Jesus." Pretty perfect, huh? It's a great lesson that may take a lifetime to learn.
Last week I read the book of Mark and I cannot believe just how much I enjoyed it. I actually looked forward to sitting down and reading the Bible. I guess that having a plan is not such a bad idea! There was one verse in particular that really hit me at the core. Mark 8:36-38 says:
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man will also be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.
What a terrible thought, to have Jesus be ashamed of me. I can't think of anything worse. I truly hate to have anyone think badly of me- it is an insecurity that has plagued me for as long as I can remember- and this is my God. How many times have I done things that shamed Him in order to impress or to not offend others, solely because I felt that those others were more present than Him? I don't know why I think I can "get one over" on God- clearly He is all-seeing and all-knowing. I need to start behaving as though He were present in my life, in all people, at all times. Because the simple truth of the matter is that He is. This verse is further call to get my priorities in order.
No comments:
Post a Comment